Reading a good book is like curling up on a window seat with an old friend… the comfort is almost instant. ( Outlook – a Book Of Simple Living By Ruskin Bond )
What is reader’s block ?
I am an avid reader, reading books, clicking them for bookstagram and reviewing them on Goodreads makes me happy. Life isn’t same all the time and yes, even though I am a book lover there are times in my life when I don’t feel like reading , my last reader’s block lasted for two months and after that I finished reading two fat books of around 800 pages within 10 days. So I believe reader’s block is not a thing, it is an illusion of mind depending on the things happening around in our life. If I am happy in my life no matter however busy I am, I will find reading time but if things aren’t going on smoothly than I don’t like to read because I cannot digest the story completely.
This is why I thought why not to write something about reader’s block and how to deal with it in an intellectual way.
Here are my tips and tricks to deal with reader’s block –
- Reader’s block is like depression, it exists only if we think that it does and it vanishes as soon as we start doing things opposite of what it want us to do. Many times I don’t want to read, but Ibstill pick up a book and then after reading a page or two I get involved into the story and my reader’s block disappears.
- Another idea to deal with reader’s block is to develop a hobby of reading daily from childhood. Experts says that it takes 21 days to create an habit and around 3 months to create a lifestyle. So I follow this method to develop any habit in me.
- Read one author at a time then pick up another author’s work for next book . Don’t go over reading the same author in continuity. Suppose Reading the work of Paulo Coehlo requires great deal of patience and time for me, So what I do is read one book of his ( a tough one ) then the next book which I pick up should be a light one like a Ruskin Bond story book. It neutralises the reading in me.
- Add books to your shelf only once you finish reading the ones you own, it sounds nothing but benefits alot. Don’t be a book hoarder, Be a Reader. Not Adding books to your shelf when not required will always drive you to discover the unread books first.
- Carry books with you whenever you are traveling, reading and traveling are the best possible combination ever. It will keep you occupied and away from from gadgets too.
This article is written as a part of #Thebookblogtrain conducted by Vidhya Thakkar and Siddhi Palandepowered by Penguin India and Redwolf should not be repurposed, republished or used otherwise. The content herein is owned by the blogger. Hosts are not responsible for any infringement caused.”